Build A Future Scholarship
This program is on hold until next year.
The Construction Writers Association (CWA) is awarding scholarship(s) titled Build A Future Scholarship to undergraduate students who demonstrate outstanding skills, aptitude and motivation in the fields of journalism, communications, and public relations as they apply to the fields of architecture, engineering, or construction.
The monetary award is $2,000 (US Dollars) and it is open to students pursuing studies in any of the above fields. In addition to the monetary award, this scholarship includes a full conference registration to the CWA Annual Conference and a travel stipend up to $500 (US Dollars). The total value is $3,000 (US Dollars).
The CWA Annual Conference provides an opportunity to meet with editors, journalists, public relations experts, and communicators from publishing companies, magazines, agencies, architectural, engineering and construction firms involved with the building industry. This is an excellent opportunity for launching a career!
The scholarship will be presented at CWA's Annual Conference in the fall of 2011 in San Antonio, TX. The dates and the location of the 2011 CWA Annual Conference will be available soon. The Build A Future Scholarship will be awarded to the winner(s) at the CWA Awards Dinner held during the conference.
The applications will be reviewed initially by the CWA Scholarship Committee and ranked by them in descending order as a group in regard to:
- Completeness and overall quality of entry
- Quality of essay writing
- Compelling reason for awarding scholarship to the individual
- Reference letters, and
- Informed judgment based on the overall application and whether an applicant has potential and aspirations for a construction related communications career.
A 10 point scale will be used for each criterion with 10 being the highest mark.
The ranked applications will be forwarded to the CWA Board of Directors with the Scholarship Committee’s recommendations for approval of the top ranked applicants receiving the scholarship(s) available for the year. The board of directors will have final approval of the recipients of any scholarship(s). CWA reserves the right not to award scholarships every year or to suspend this program at any time. Previous scholarship award winners are not eligible for a two-year period after receipt of a scholarship award.
The Build A Future Scholarship is open to an individual who (is):
- Currently enrolled as a sophomore, junior or senior in an accredited college or university in the United States or Canada.
- Pursuing a major or minor in one of these courses of study: Journalism, Public Relations, or Communications as they apply to Architecture, Engineering, Construction, or Construction Management.
- Possesses a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4 point scale and provides a copy of a recent transcript.
- Provides two letters of reference. At least one letter should be from a professor who knows you. These reference letters should be emailed or mailed directly to CWA Headquarters at the time of application.
- Submits an essay on how CWA’s Build A Future Scholarship would benefit you and why you are applying for it. The length of the essay should not exceed 1,000 words. The essay should explain why you would be the best candidate for the Build A Future Scholarship and what having this scholarship will allow you to accomplish that you might not have been able to do without it. Also, explain if there are any financial aspects to your situation that should be considered.
- Submits a completed Build A Future Scholarship Form.
- Previous scholarship award winners will not be eligible to win another scholarship for a two-year period after receipt of a scholarship award.
The monetary award is $2,000 (US Dollars) and it is open to students pursuing studies in any of the above fields. In addition to the monetary award, this scholarship includes a full conference registration to the CWA Annual Conference and a travel stipend up to $500 (US Dollars). The total value is $3,500 (US Dollars).
The 2015 scholarship is on hold until further notice.
Build A Future Scholarship Committee
The committee will be determined when the scholarship is active.
William R. Tolley
CWA Executive Director
Construction Writers Association
38800 Country Club Drive
Farmington Hills, MI 48331